Wednesday, June 27, 2012

I'm sick... Homesick

I got really homesick yesterday. The feeling came on without warning as I was talking to my dad on the phone. I suddenly pictured him sitting on the couch in the living room, reading the newspaper and listening to the news or Walker, Texas Ranger. Then I imagined my mom, standing at the sink in the kitchen washing dishes and looking out of the window onto our back porch. I'm sure the dogs were running around, chasing the squirrels.

Then I imagined my brother and what he was doing. We got here a few months before he moved into his own house so I still don't know what it looks like. But I pictured him hanging out in his living room and talking to his best friend on the phone.

I thought of my sister and her boyfriend. Right now they're in Savannah, one of my favorite places in the world. I was hoping they were eating crab legs at Fiddler's on River Street. It's always nice to sit outside on the deck and watch the barges go by.

It made me sad to think about what they're doing and how the days are passing when I'm not there.

It's absolutely great living here and I'm thankful for the opportunity to travel and meet new people but sometimes I miss all of the places I've already been and the people I already know and love.

I miss southern drawls, pinestraw, sunshine, sweet tea, boiled peanuts, and country music.

My hometown is a tiny speck on the map. It's filled with Baptist churches, hair salons, and flower shops. Friday night football games are the biggest event happening in the fall. Everybody knows everybody and the main street looks the same as it did 30 years ago. Pick-up trucks with speakers blaring "Redneck Yacht Club" haul boats and jet skis to the river while grandparents sit on their front porches watching traffic pass. This is where I'm from, for better or worse. The sign leading into town says "A nice place to live." And I suppose it really is, but I think anywhere my family and friends are would be a nice place to live.

My young cousin at the river, just before we moved to Germany.

No comments:

Post a Comment