Saturday, September 29, 2012

Nurburgring

We spent the last day of my brother's visit at the Nurburgring. I'm not much of an automobile enthusiast but even I appreciated all of the fast, fancy cars showboating around the complex. It was mind-blowing to see so many expensive cars in one place.


BMW offers a Ring Taxi service. Up to three people can be chauffeured around the track in an M5 by a professional driver. The other opportunity provided by BMW is co-piloting in an Aston Martin V8 Vantage N24. Without hesitation, my brother decided on the Aston Martin experience.

My Brother's Ride
His lap was scheduled for 2:30 but accidents on the track caused delays. In the event of an accident (frequently), the entire track is shut down for cleaning and maintenance. Loudspeakers announce when the track is ready for drivers again and all of the waiting motorists fist-pump joyfully and rush back out to their cars to enter the line-up when given the all-clear.

Almost ready!
My brother was suited up in race gear and a helmet. Admittedly, I was a bit nervous as I watched him get strapped into the passenger seat. But he was cool as a cucumber, looking as if this was his millionth time soaring through the Eifel Mountains at speeds of almost 300 kilometers.

The ride lasted just 10 minutes but he said it was an amazing once-in-a-lifetime experience. After watching the video from the dashboard-camera and seeing how excited my often-stoic brother was after the lap, I must say that I wanted to jump into the next available racing suit and strap myself into the car. And of course my husband wants his turn as well. 

The co-pilot rides are pricey (almost $400) and they require advance registration. If you have the cash to blow and the desire to zip around the Nurburgring Gran Turismo-style, you should definitely consider it. 

Cars waiting for admission to the Ring.

No comments:

Post a Comment