Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Saying Goodbye

Let's talk about the goodbyes. Of course this isn't a permanent move, but 3 years (at least) can feel like a long time, especially if someone close to you is ill or if there is a special baby in your life who will learn how to run, talk, and begin school before you see him again.

I bid farewell to my best friend, her husband and family, and their son this past weekend. It was very hard. I had a great time just hanging out with her, her son, and my husband on Saturday night but I spent a lot of the time thinking about how it was going to feel to leave them. I've spent a lot of time in that home and I found myself memorizing every picture that hung on the wall, every toy that was on the floor, and every expression she made when she laughed. We bid adieu emotionally and then halfway down the driveway I realized I'd left behind my expensive sunglasses. Rather than turning back, I texted her and asked her to drop them by the next day so at least I'd have time to collect myself before we did the whole thing all over again. I must say it was much better the second time. I guess I got my cry out.

I won't be saying goodbye to my family until 2 weeks from now. I'm glad they're making one more visit because I don't know if I could have handled all of those emotions in one weekend.

I received my official passport yesterday. It arrived in a little over 4 weeks, which apparently was a very fortunate waiting period because we've heard it usually takes much longer. My car was shipped today so I'll see her in Germany at the end of October. Tomorrow the movers are coming to assess what we have and how long it will take to pack. Things are really starting to happen. Results of the build-up are finally set-in-stone on our calendars and we will be en route on time.


No comments:

Post a Comment